After picking up your sister from a school event, you drove your car home on the familiar route through the west side of town that night. But while driving along a bridge, another vehicle crosses the center line, causing a head-on collision with your car. The impact is devastating. The aftermath is just as bad.
You and your sister sustain severe injuries in an accident caused by a drunk driver. This driver’s negligence led to the near fatal collision, a three-month hospitalization for you along with pain and suffering and the inability to work. You face months, even years, of relearning how to walk, and your future likely means using a cane. Your life has taken an unexpected turn.
Severe and debilitating injuries
You suffered a catastrophic injury in a preventable car accident. Here are some of the injuries that victims confront in any type of car accident:
- Traumatic brain injury: This affects your cognitive and motor skills and may have long-term effects.
- Spinal cord injury: Such an injury may limit your ability to walk and even cause permanent paralysis.
- Back injuries: Permanent and lifelong pain is a strong possibility with a back injury.
- Bone fractures: Such injuries can lead to permanent disability and lengthy recovery times.
- Disfigurement: Severe cuts and abrasions may lead to extensive bouts of plastic surgery.
- Amputations: Losing a hand, arm, foot and leg can lead to lifetime disabilities and require you to use prosthetics.
- Severe burns: Flames resulting from a motor vehicle accident can lead to first-, second- and third-degree burns that require painful skin grafts.
- Internal injuries: These can cause severe bleeding and lead to the damage and removal of internal organs.
Sadly, your situation is not unique. As long as negligent drivers are on the road ignoring traffic laws, driving drunk, driving while distracted and subscribing to road rage, these accidents will continue to occur. Many other victims like you must fight with insurance companies and negligent drivers to secure a settlement. It is crucial to seek a skilled personal injury attorney willing to help you at every step, and that includes having a willingness to go to trial.